Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Different Drums, Different Drummers

From "Please Understand Me" by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates

If I do not want what you want,
please try not to tell me that my want is wrong.

Or if I believe other than you,
at least pause before you correct my view.

Or if my emotion is less than yours,
or more, given the same circumstances,
try not to ask me to feel more strongly or weakly.

Or yet if I act, or fail to act,
in the manner of your design for action, let me be.

I do not, for the moment at least,
ask you to understand me.

That will come only when you are willing
to give up changing me into a copy of you.

I may be your spouse, your parent, your offspring,
your friend, or your colleague.

If you will allow me any of my own wants, or emotions, or
beliefs, or actions, then you open yourself, so that some day
these ways of mine might not seem so wrong, and might
finally appear to you as right - for me.

Not that you embrace my ways as right for you, but that you
are no longer irritated or disappointed with me for my
seeming waywardness.

And in understanding me you might come to prize my
differences from you, and, far from seeking to change me,
preserve and even nurture these differences.

===================================================
Sometimes it's so difficult to put yourself in someone else's shoes and see things from someone else's perspective, it's just easier to suggest that they become a little more like US, so we can understand them better or "help" them. 

Being a very high introvert is something that not a lot of people I know can relate to, and people find it hard to believe about me when I tell them.  Going to bed very early and waking up very early is also something not a lot of people can relate to.  Quality time with friends for me happens in a one-on-one setting and the conversation is deep and intense.  I like to prepare for each day the night before.  The way I show my family love is by cooking them yummy meals, making sure their laundry is always clean and planning out (sometimes weeks) in advance activities, vacations and being aware of where there might be conflicts.  I totally get it that my ways aren't for everyone and that people sometimes don't get it...but does that make it wrong?  Are these things I should strive to change about myself?  Am I missing some wonderful part of life by being the way I am? 

I love working on changing my hang-ups and believe me, there are a few for me to work on!!!  (A few = a gazillion)  But my natural temperament?  Nah, I like that just fine.  It suits me.  It works for me, and my family, and my friends, and my coworkers - whether they believe it all the time or not! 

What are some things in your life that you'd like to change - you know that you could benefit from small adjustments?  What are the core things about you that people might not understand but that you'd never give up in a million years?  Do you see the value in knowing the difference? 

No comments:

Post a Comment